Jordy Smith is South Africa’s next claim to surfing fame. Preceded by the great Shaun Tomson and Martin Potter, if another world title is going to be won anytime soon by a Saffa, it’ll most certainly have Jordy’s name inscribed on it. With a style that is a combination of raw power and limitless aerial and high-performance ability, Smith is that rare all-around talent spoken among the Slaters, Reynolds and Wilsons of the current landscape.
Born and raised in Durban, South Africa to a shaper father, Jordy was introduced to and surfed alongside some of the great talents of the generation before him when they passed through to surf J-Bay or any of the country’s quality beachbreaks. He arrived on the WSL World Tour in 2009, after finishing first on the World Qualifying Series (WQS) and just a year later finished the WCT season runner-up to only Kelly Slater (11 world titles to his name).
When he’s not putting together solid results on the WCT, Smith is regularly pumping out popular web clips and in 2012 released his first signature film, “Bending Colours.”
- 6x WSL World Championship Tour Event Winner
- 2016 – 1st, Vans World Cup (QS)
- 2016 – 2nd, Rip Curl Bells Beach (CT)
- 2014 – 2nd, Moche Rip Curl Pro Portugal (CT)
- 2013 – Gold Medal, X Games Brazil "Real Surf"
- 2012 – Released Signature Film, “Bending Colours”
- 2010 – Runner-up, WSL World Tour Overall Ratings
- 2008 – Qualified for the WSL World Tour
- 2007 – Triple Crown of Surfing “Rookie of the Year”
O’Neill, Red Bull, Oakley, Channel Islands, Neff, Futures, Vestal, Muzik Connect, Trace, Brand Black